9:30 am – 10:00 a.m. Check in at Registration
10:00 am – 11:30 a.m. Orientation
- Welcome by 2017 MLA President, Vicky Baker
- Presentation of the Francis “Bud” Barnes Award to Representative Justin Alferman by MLA President, Vicky Baker
- Introduction of the Secretary of State, Jay Ashcroft by MLA President, Vicky Baker
- Welcome by new Secretary of State, Jay Ashcroft
- Comments by State Librarian, Barbara Reading
- Legislative Update by MLA Legislative Advocate, Randy Scherr
- General Information and Visit Etiquette by MLA Legislative Advocate, Randy Scherr standing in for Gerald Brooks
11:30 am – 12:30 p.m. Lunch
1:00 pm – 5:00 p.m. Afternoon Visits
Why Advocacy Day?
Librarians, library trustees and friends from across Missouri come together on one day to meet with State Representatives and Senators to discuss the importance of all libraries — academic, public and school — and their contributions to the lives of Missourians.
Through meetings with elected officials, we raise awareness of the importance of State Aide to Public Libraries and the services of the Missouri State Library.
By coming together in Jefferson City on Missouri Library Advocacy Day, we promote libraries in a visible way, and by our numbers, show the importance of libraries state-wide. Face-to-face discussion is the most effective means of communication and is essential to the establishment of a solid working relationship.
While this event is important, it is only one communication with your legislators. Your meeting with your legislator should make it easier to contact him/her during the session as issues arise and we ask for your support. Building long term relationships with your legislators is the key to effective communication. This event is a great opportunity to begin building relationships with your elected officials.
Questions? Contact Gerald Brooks, MLA Legislative Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.