Visit the Legislative Committee’s Engage site to stay up-to-date on library-relevant legislation and events.
See the video transcript of the February 2017 Legislative Update.
Duties (see MLA Handbook, 3.9.2) :
- Maintain a network of librarians of all types, trustees, and citizens throughout the state to serve as contacts and to aid in disseminating information and gathering support for MLA’s legislative efforts.
- Review and report to the MLA President on bills in the Missouri General Assembly affecting libraries in the state.
- Act upon the instruction of the Executive Board.
- Submit a legislative program for each year for approval by the Executive Board and for approval by the membership at the annual meeting.
- Develop a legislative position statement for MLA, after consultation with the President, relating to legislative items which are not part of the legislative package but are of interest or concern to Missouri libraries.
- Annually, consider a Missouri legislator(s) for the “Francis (Bud) Barnes Outstanding Legislator Award.” (see Section 5.9, MLA Handbook ) If one or more candidates is selected, the committee shall:
- Submit name(s) to MLA Executive Board for approval.
- Arrange for award to be presented at the MLA Conference.
- Prepare press releases regarding award for distribution to appropriate media outlets and forwards to Publication Chair.
- In October of each year, review Legislative Advocate’s agreement, terms, remuneration, and performance and make recommendations to the Board for the following year.
Committee membership is outlined in the MLA Handbook 3.9.1.
Gerald Brooks, CHAIR, and State Legislative Coordinator 2014-2016, 2017, email@example.com
Cody Croan, 2016-2018, firstname.lastname@example.org
Julie Yockey, 2016-2018, email@example.com
Tom Cooper, 2016-2018, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dan Brower, 2016-2018, email@example.com
Jim Staley, 2017-2019, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Schmidt, 2014-2019, email@example.com
Pam Klipsch, 2014-2019, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jason Kuhl, 2014-2019, email@example.com
Christa Van Herreweghe, 2014-2019, firstname.lastname@example.org
Margaret Conroy, 2018-2020, email@example.com
Stephanie Tolson, ALA Councilor, non-voting, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tiffany Mautino, Chair, MLA Intellectual Freedom Committee, email@example.com
Randy Scherr, MLA Legislative Advocate, non-voting, firstname.lastname@example.org
April Roy, MLA President, email@example.com
Eric Gray, MLA President-elect, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracy Byerly, Amigos Library Services, non-voting, email@example.com
Missouri State Librarian