See Library Advocacy Day for registration and information about this important annual event.
Duties (see MLA Handbook, 3.9.2) :
- Maintain a network of librarians of all types, trustees, and citizens throughout the state to serve as contacts and to aid in disseminating information and gathering support for MLA’s legislative efforts.
- Review and report to the MLA President on bills in the Missouri General Assembly affecting libraries in the state.
- Act upon the instruction of the Executive Board.
- Submit a legislative program for each year for approval by the Executive Board and for approval by the membership at the annual meeting.
- Develop a legislative position statement for MLA, after consultation with the President, relating to legislative items which are not part of the legislative package but are of interest or concern to Missouri libraries.
- Annually, consider a Missouri legislator(s) for the “Francis (Bud) Barnes Outstanding Legislator Award.” (see Section 5.9, MLA Handbook ) If one or more candidates is selected, the committee shall:
- Submit name(s) to MLA Executive Board for approval.
- Arrange for award to be presented at the MLA Conference.
- Prepare press releases regarding award for distribution to appropriate media outlets and forwards to Publication Chair.
- In October of each year, review Legislative Advocate’s agreement, terms, remuneration, and performance and make recommendations to the Board for the following year.
Committee membership is outlined in the MLA Handbook 3.9.1.
Cody Croan, CHAIR, 2016-2022, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dan Brower, past-chair, 2018-2020, email@example.com
Jim Staley 2019-2021 firstname.lastname@example.org
Nate Elwood 2020-2022 email@example.com
Pam Klipsch 2019-2021 firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Hill 2019-2021 email@example.com
Christa VanHerreweghe 2018-2020 firstname.lastname@example.org
Margaret Conroy 2018-2023 email@example.com ALA Counselor
Tiffany Mautino Ex-Officio firstname.lastname@example.org Chair, MLA Intellectual Freedom Committee
Randy Scherr Ex-Officio email@example.com Legislative Advocate Non-Voting
Cindy Thompson Ex Offico firstname.lastname@example.org MLA President Voting
Claudia Cook Ex Offico MLA President Elect Non-Voting
Tracy Byerly Ex-Officio email@example.com Non-Voting
Robin Westphal Invited Guest Mo State Librarian