The Ronald G. Bohley Scholarship is sponsored and selected by the Professionalism, Education, Employment, and Recruitment Community of Interest (PEER CI) and is awarded annually to an individual enrolled in or recently accepted into an ALA-accredited program in pursuit of a Master’s degree in Library/Information Science. This scholarship is funded up to $1000. The Missouri Library Association (MLA) Executive Board voted in 1992 to establish the Ronald G. Bohley Scholarship to honor a librarian who was respected by his colleagues and friends for his exemplary professional standards and for his pursuit of lifelong library cooperation. Ron Bohley served as Director of the Curtis Laws Wilson Library at the University of Missouri-Rolla from 1972 until his death in 1991. He also served several terms as Board President of the Missouri Library Network Corporation and was President of the Missouri Library Association for 1989-1990. The first Ronald G. Bohley Scholarship was awarded in August 1995.
The scholarship is awarded annually to an individual who has demonstrated high scholastic standards and the desire to provide quality service to library patrons. The responsibility for selection of scholarship recipients is delegated to the Professionalism, Education, Employment and Recruitment (PEER) Community of Interest of MLA in conjunction with the Awards Committee. PEER is also responsible for promoting awareness of the scholarship. The Awards Committee will be responsible to see that the current Ronald G. Bohley Scholarship Application Form is available on the MLA webpage. The MLA Executive Board has the authority to change the guidelines of the scholarship at its discretion.
1. Applicants must have achieved a 3.0 (A=4.0) grade point average or higher as an undergraduate unless there is an established graduate record.
2. Applicants must be accepted or currently enrolled in an ALA-accredited program for a minimum of three hours of credit in pursuit of a Master’s Degree in Library Science/Information Science.
3. Preference will be given to those applicants currently employed in a Missouri library or working toward their degree in a Missouri Master’s Degree in Library Science/Information Science program.
4. Applicants with no Missouri affiliation will not be considered for the Bohley Scholarship.
5. The award cannot be given in consecutive years to the same individual.
6. Applicants must submit a completed application form, three letters of reference, a written statement of purpose, proof of acceptance to or enrollment in an ALA-accredited program in pursuit of a Master’s Degree in Library Science/Information Science, and a copy of the most recent transcript (when applicable). An unofficial transcript is acceptable.
Finalists will be interviewed based on a common list of questions, which will be provided in advance of the interview. Applications must be postmarked by July 1 of each year. The MLA president will notify the scholarship winner by August 31 of each year. The MLA Treasurer will mail the recipient’s check within two weeks of notification. If no applicant meets the scholarship criteria/deadlines, the Bohley Scholarship will not be awarded that year.
Scholarship Amount: Up to $1,000.00 is awarded each year. Exact amount is determined by MLA Executive Board.
Bohley Scholarship Fund Contributions Contributions to the scholarship fund are made through private donations and fundraising activities. MLA membership applications provide a space for new and renewing members to contribute to the scholarship fund.
Use of Bohley Scholarship Fund The Ronald G. Bohley Fund is an MLA Special Fund. Monies from the fund are used for the following purposes:
A. To pay the annual Scholarship amount to the recipient.
B. To pay the expenses to promote the Scholarship.
C. To carry out Scholarship fundraising activities.
D. To pay the expenses of the application process (e.g. postage and telephone bills for conference calls).