About the Ronald G. Bohley Scholarship
The Ronald G. Bohley Scholarship is sponsored and selected by the Professionalism, Education, Employment, and Recruitment Community of Interest (PEER CI) and is awarded annually to an individual enrolled in or recently accepted into an ALA-accredited program in pursuit of a Master’s degree in Library or Information Science. The Scholarship is awarded to an individual who has demonstrated high scholastic achievement, a commitment to professionalism and library cooperation, a desire to provide quality service to library patrons, and promise toward making a contribution to Missouri libraries. The responsibility for selection is delegated to the PEER CI in conjunction with the Awards Committee. The scholarship is funded up to $2000.
- Applicants must have achieved a 3.0 (A=4.0) grade point average or higher as an undergraduate unless there is an established graduate record.
- Applicants must be accepted or currently enrolled in an ALA-accredited program for a minimum of three hours of credit in pursuit of a Master’s Degree in Library Science and/or Information Science.
- Preference will be given to those applicants currently employed in a Missouri library or working toward their degree in a Missouri program.
- Applicants with no Missouri affiliation will not be considered for the Bohley Scholarship.
- The award cannot be given in consecutive years to the same individual.
- Applicants must submit a completed application form, three letters of reference, a written statement of purpose, proof of acceptance to or enrollment in an ALA-accredited program, and a copy of the most recent transcript (where applicable). Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Letters and transcripts may be included in the application packet or sent directly to the email or mailing address listed above.
All materials must be submitted/postmarked before midnight on June 30, 2018. Scholarship applications can be submitted online, emailed, or printed and mailed. Please send all supporting documents to email@example.com
Or by mail:
Missouri Library Association c/o Amigos Library Services
1190 Meramec Station Road, Suite 207
Ballwin, MO 63021-6902
Finalists will be interviewed using a common list of questions, which will be provided in advance. Applications must be sent or postmarked between May 1 and June 30 of each year. MLA will notify the scholarship winner by August 31st, and the award will be mailed within two weeks of notification.
If no applicant meets the scholarship criteria or deadlines, the Bohley Scholarship will not be awarded that year.
The MLA Executive Board voted in 1992 to establish the Scholarship to honor Ronald G. Bohley, a librarian who was respected by his colleagues and friends for his exemplary professional standards and for his lifelong pursuit of library cooperation. Ron Bohley served as Director of the Curtis Laws Wilson Library at the University of Missouri-Rolla from 1972 until his death in 1991. He also served several terms as Board President of the Missouri Library Network Corporation and was President of the Missouri Library Association for 1989-1990. The first Bohley Scholarship was awarded in August 1995.