The Missouri Building Block Picture Book Award, sponsored and selected by the Youth Services Community of Interest (YSCI), is presented annually to the author and illustrator of the picture book voted most popular by preschool children in Missouri’s public libraries and is designed to encourage reading aloud to children from birth through kindergarten age.
Designed to encourage reading aloud to children from birth through kindergarten age, the award was first given in 1996. Parents and other caregivers are encouraged to read aloud to children from a list of ten titles selected annually by a group of Missouri children’s librarians. Colorful posters, bookmarks, activity sheets, and a manual of great ideas add to the fun.
See the Missouri Building Block Picture Book Award Procedures and the Missouri Building Block Picture Book Award Committee Handbook in Appendix G of the MLA Handbook MLA Handbook for details.
Members of the Building Block Award subgroup of YSCI are listed on the YSCI page.
2022 Nominees – Click on the title for activity sheet
- Finding Fergus by Mike Boldt
- Something Stinks by Jonathan Fenske
- Don’t Hug Doug (He Doesn’t Like It) by Carrie Finison
- Wolfboy by Andy Harkness
- Swim, Swim, Sink by Jennifer Harney
- It is (Not) Perfect by Anna Kang
- Roar: a Book of Animal Sounds by Katerina Kerouli
- Sharky McShark by Alison Murray
- One-osaurus, Two-osaurus by Kim Norman
- Bear Can’t Wait by Karma Wilson